When I received my first issue of Cooking Light magazine, I sent Mike's sister in law, Ellie a photo of the magazine to say thanks for the awesome subscription and she replied with "make that bread!" She was referring to the decadent banana bread that had chocolate oozing off of it featured on the cover. So that's exactly what I did this week. Mike and I have been enjoying a piece as dessert each night this week. This recipe omits egg yolks and oil that add a good chunk of fat that you would typically find in mostl bread recipes.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 butter, softened
- 3-4 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsps half and half
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1) Mash bananas in medium sized bowl with potato masher. Set aside.
2) Combine sugar and softened butter in your mixer till blended. (medium speed)
3) Add bananas, sour cream, egg yolks and milk to sugar mixture and beat together .
4) Gently spoon flour into a measuring cup and level off. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl.
5) Add flour mixture to mixer with banana mixture. Beat until just blended. Don't over beat mixture to make smooth. We like it lumpy!
6) Dump mixture into 9x5 greased loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes. Oven temps may vary slightly. Keep an eye on your baked goods 😉 Remove bread from pan after approx 10-15min and let it cool on cooling rack for 30 or more minutes for smothering your banana bread with warm chocolate.
7) Just before you're ready to glaze your bread, melt chocolate in small bowl with half and half. Heat ingredients in microwave for approx 1 min. Taking bowl out 2 times to stir before the minute is up. (Approx every 20 seconds). See above for how my chocolate changes throughout the minute.
8) Pour warm chocolate over banana bread and use spatula to cover if so desired. I let mine drip off the sides for fun.
To enjoy the next day, reheat in microwave for approx 20 seconds to achieve "just out of the oven yumminess".
Chocolate Smothered Banana Bread- Approx 184 calories, 5 grams of fat per serving