This past weekend I went to Montreal with a few friends to celebrate my upcoming birthday. Every once in a while I just feel like I need to get out of the city, even if that means spending some time in another city. Leading up to my trip I was really anxious because traveling can really take a toll on your body. I had been working really hard making good food choices and keeping to a regular running schedule. I didn’t want to undo a month of hard work in a weekend! I was almost at a point where I didn’t even want to go on this trip that I had planned to have fun with my friends, because I didn’t want to sabotage a weigh-in. But you can’t live your life that way, so I just promised myself I would be careful, and I would attempt to exercise somehow.


Saturday morning I woke up in a nicely decorated three-bedroom apartment in a nice enough neighborhood in Montreal. I had decided that I was going to go for a run first thing, while my friends were waking up, to at least combat some of the inevitable calories coming in the day ahead. I did get up and I did go for a run, but it was an amazing misadventure. There were a few things working against me.


Number 1: The massive plate of 1am poutine that I ate before bed.


As if french fries weren't unhealthy enough, we like to add cheese curds and gravy sometimes.

Number 2: The weather. It was 40 degrees and pouring rain.

Number 3: My Couch to 5k app quit 10 minutes into my run.


I went on a horrible two mile run on a belly full of poutine, absolutely frozen in the pouring rain, with no music, and no direction. I couldn’t get into a rhythm at all the entire time I was out and no part of me was happy to be doing so. I got back to the apartment and was very angry. I was so excited to get out and go for a vacation run, and just ended up being really disappointed that it didn’t go well at all. I felt like I was back on my first run ever, and every step felt so forced. I guess I should be glad that I made the effort to go for the run at all, but I felt like such a failure.

All in all, the weekend was quite a success. A great time was had by all, and even if my run sucked, I ended up going on a 3 hour walk, and I also ate poutine 3 more times.


(Left to right) Steve, me, Eric, and Rachael at the top of Mont Royal