Kale is back this week and making a dinner time appearance on Eat Fit Not Fat. This pizza came together in about an hour and was delicious! Get creative and choose your own healthy toppings. I even found gluten free pizza dough at my market, so all you gluten free people can have your pizza and eat it too 😉 Happy Friday.
Ingredients:1 large onion 1 large sweet potato 1-2 bunches of fresh kale whole wheat pizza dough 1/4 cup goat cheese 2 tbsp parmesen cheese 2-3 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 tsp thyme juice of 1/4 lemon 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes 1 tbsp crushed walnuts Approx. 2 tbsp olive oil
1) Cut onion into slices. Wash and peal skin off of sweet potato. Slice into 1/2 inch cubes.
2) Bring large pot of water to a boil. Boil sweet potatoes for approx. 5-7 min or till fork tender. Drain potatoes and let them stand for 5 min to cool off. Heat medium to large skillet on medium heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Saute garlic till fragrant. Add onion to pan and stir to coat. Cook onions for 40-50 minutes or till onions turn a beautiful golden brown. You are going to want to take the time to caramelize the onions. The process of caramelizing completely changes the flavor and texture of the onion. Its ohhh so delicious! If onions aren't browning, add a pinch or two of sugar to pan.
3)Place sweet potatoes into a food processor. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil, red pepper flakes, thyme and a pinch of salt. Pulse to combine.
4) Crumble goat cheese. Chop walnuts. Thank you Tutu for my great nut grinder !
5) Sprinkle some cornmeal on a clean flat surface (this will help prevent sticking). Role dough out into a circle. This process takes some patients. So hang in there and keep rolling!
6) Toss kale with 1/2-1 tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Transfer dough to cookie sheet of pizza stone. I threw some additional cornmeal down on the pizza stone before placing my dough. Spread sweet potato puree on top of crust to cover dough.
7) Add kale to onion pan after onions are caramelized. Toss to combine and remove from heat.
8) Sprinkle goat cheese sporadically on pizza. Place kale/onion mixture on top of dough. Top with parmesan cheese. Bake in oven at 425 degrees for approx. 15 minutes. (oven times will vary). Last 2 minute sprinkle walnuts on top and con't baking.
Remove from oven. Cut into 6 pieces and enjoy! We enjoyed our pizza with a side salad. The pizza made for some great leftover lunches as well 🙂
Approx. 330 calories, 10 grams of fat per slice
Recipe adapted from: http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2013/09/sweet-potato-kale-pizza