Every year several gamer friends of mine take part in the Extra Life campaign. It is a 24 hour game playing marathon where gamers around the country and world pledge to play games and stream their efforts for us to enjoy.
The charity was founded after a young girl was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. As a way to support her through treatment and fight, the Sarcastic Gamers Community got involved with a charity event to raise money. Every year since, the event has gotten larger and larger, raising over 2 million in 2013.
As an avid gamer, I love this idea. Gamers can contribute in the same way runners raise money for a 5k charity run. By dedicating their time and take part in something they are passionate about, they help raise money for a fantastic cause.
Several of my friends are taking part, so check out their Bio's and when their streams go live, I encourage everyone to check it out!
- Mike Riccio - Weekly frisbee player and Canisius Alumni
- Bubba Landes - Power beard and chef; throws a frisbee like no other.
- Kyle Baumgardner - Former Canisius Fusion President
- Dale Paradowski - By all accounts an awesome guy.
- Brian Gang - The Church of the Buffalo Bills. #Buffalove
The benefits to donating:
- You help purchase games for children at Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo.
- Your name will be listed on each player's live-stream as a thank you!
- Some players will offer rewards such as playing the game of your choice.
- Dude. You're helping hospitalized kids.
- Entertaining video gaming from the talented* individuals listed above.